Frequently Asked Questions

Finding a Solicitor

Macclesfield has a wide range of firms of solicitors covering all aspects of legal work including private client work, personal injury work and family.

To search for a local solicitor please use the searchable database of members.

To search for a solicitor outside the area please use the Law Society for England & Wales’s database

Sources of Free Legal Information and Advice

The Cheshire East Citizens Advice Bureau North offers a free and confidential advice service on legal and other personal and community issues.  They are based at Sunderland House, Sunderland Street, Macclesfield, SK11 6JF.

For further information about the work of Citizens Advice Bureau, phone 01625-426303 or visit


Macclesfield has two courts: the County Court and the Magistrates Court. 

Macclesfield County Court is located at 2nd Floor, Silk House, Park Green, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 7NA.  This Court deals with civil claims including cases about personal injury, divorce and contract disputes amongst other things. The Court is open from 9:00am and 4:00pm.

Macclesfield Magistrates' Court is located The Law Courts, 6-8 Hibel Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 2AB.  This Court deals with criminal cases and also licensing for pubs, clubs and restaurants. Magistrates selected from the local community preside over certain criminal cases instead of juries. The cases are normally classified as less serious offences. The Court is open from 9am until 4:30pm.

The nearest Probate Registry is the Manchester District Probate registrty situated at Manchester Civil Justice Centre, Ground Floor, 1 Bridge Street West, PO BOX 4240, Manchester Greater Manchester, M60 1WJ. The Probate Registry deals with Wills and Intestacies following death. The Registry is open from 9:30am until 4:00pm.

The nearest Employment Tribunal is also located in Manchester at Alexandra House, 14-22 The Parsonage, Manchester, M3 2JA. The Employment Tribunal deals with hearings of cases involving dismissal from employment and discrimination in employment.

Police Stations

The nearest police station is located at Brunswick Street, Macclesfield, SK10 1HQ.

Qualifying as a Solicitor or Barrister

Students must first obtain a degree, which need not necessarily be in Law. If you do not hold a qualifying law degree (normally a LLB - Bachelor of Laws) , you must study for the Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies.


In order to practise in England and Wales the intending barrister must first join an Inn of Court. Many students do this while taking their degree. On successful completion of the degree intending barristers must take a further one-year full-time course, the Bar Vocational Course leading to the second part of the Bar examination. There then follows a minimum of one-year period of Pupilage - a form of apprenticeship in a barrister's chambers.


On completion of their degree intending solicitors also take a one-year full-time course. This is called the Legal Practice Course (LPC). Thereafter, there is a two-year training contract (apprenticeship in a firm of solicitors), all or most of which must be taken after completing the LPC.

For further information see the Law Society's guide:


Thanks to Jobling Gowler Solicitors for their White Nancy photo.
© 2017 Macclesfield & Cheshire East Law Society. All Rights Reserved.